Cure for deafness `found`
London: In a major breakthrough which
may pave the way for a permanent cure for deafness, scientists claim to have discovered the "Holy Grail" of hearing loss.
An international team, led by Stanford University
School of Medicine, has actually found a way of re-creating
the sensitive "hair cells", which are vital for hearing, using
stem cell technology.
And, according to the scientists, the finding could
lead to a way for deaf people to regenerate their own inner
ear sensory cells to cure the condition.
Moderate to profound hearing loss is often caused
by damage to the "hair" cells in the cochlea -- an organ deep
inside the ear that converts vibrations into electrical
Finding a way to regrow cochlea hairs has long
been a major goal -- the Holy Grail -- of researchers studying
The scientists now hope that the new study could be
a step towards a cure -- although a decade of further research
may be needed, the `Daily Express` reported.
Dr Ralph Holme, head of biomedical research
at the Royal National Institute for Deaf People, said: "The
possibility that stem cells could one day be used to restore
hearing is really exciting and could benefit millions."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly