Daily breakfast prevents lead poisoning in kids
Washington: Having a regular breakfast is associated with lower blood lead levels in children, according to a new research.
It is known that fasting increases lead absorption in adults and consequently regular meals and snacks are recommended for children to prevent lead poisoning.
Data from the China Jintan Child Cohort Study compared blood lead levels to social factors, eating patterns and intake of micronutrients.
While there were no differences in breakfast patterns for age or gender of the child there were differences in blood lead levels. The risk of lead poisoning in boys was almost twice that of girls, and four and five year olds had twice the risk of lead poisoning than three year olds.
Nevertheless, when variables, such as age and the gender of the child were taken into account, children who ate a regular breakfast had 15 percent lower blood lead levels than those who skipped breakfast.
Breakfast habits were determined by family tendencies with both the parents and grandparents of children who ate breakfast tending to be professionals or more educated.
"Parental or caregivers`` characteristics, including education and occupation, are major determinants of breakfast frequency. Consequently improving parent`s knowledge about the links between nutrition and blood lead might help to prevent lead poisoning in these children," Dr Jianghong Liu said.
The study has been published in BioMed Central`s open access journal Environmental Health.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fishermen killing case: Accused Italian marine Salvatore Girone returns home from India
- Pakistan may seek India's help in curbing terror: Rajnath Singh
- Leander Paes-Martina Hingis pair enters 2016 French Open mixed-doubles quarters
- Bihar Board Matric Class 10 Results 2016: BSEB 10th Result 2016, Bihar Class 10th Result 2016 to be declared today on May 29; check biharboard.bih.nic.in
- PM Narendra Modi plays traditional Khasi drum in Meghalaya