Decision making area inactive in schizophrenic brains
Sydney: Scientists have identified a brain mechanism that derails decision-making in people suffering from schizophrenia -- a mental disorder characterised by a breakdown of thought processes and emotional responsiveness, besides attacks of hallucinations and delusions.
The study, led by Thomas Weickert, psychiatrist at The University of New South Wales, found that a brain area called the ventral striatum, which lights up in response to rewards in healthy adults and is linked with decision making, was unresponsive among schizophrenics.
Specifically, the study showed that they were unable to distinguish between expected and unexpected rewards or deal with life`s unpredictability or make sound decisions, the journal Molecular Psychiatry reports.
"Using functional MRI images, we could see that this region of the brain wasn`t firing correctly. People with schizophrenia... have trouble taking cues from their environment and, consequently, can make some bad decisions," Weickert said.
Reward responses are important in many areas of learning because they help us to redirect attention and behaviour towards things that are beneficial to us, Weickert said, according to a New South Wales statement.
The ventral striatum is connected to other parts of the brain that are important in decision making, planning and cognition and is, consequently, attracting increasing interest from researchers.
Weickert said healthy adults in the study had no trouble dealing with unpredictability, but people suffering from schizophrenia were not able to tell the difference between expected and unexpected rewards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state