Declare killer disease an epidemic, says Bihar
Patna: Bihar has urged the central government to declare a mysterious disease that has killed 102 children an epidemic, Health Minister Ashwani Kumar Choubey said Monday.
Following the deaths of children in Muzaffarpur, Gaya and Patna districts in the past fortnight, Choubey said the state government wanted the central government`s intervention.
"It is now urgent to declare it an epidemic. The state will approach the central government for this," Choubey told the media here.
He earlier chaired a meeting of health officials and doctors called by the Bihar unit of the Indian Medical Association.
Eighteen more children died in Muzaffarpur in the last 24 hours, taking the toll to 57 in the district. Ten children have died in Gaya.
Besides, 35 children have died in the Patna Medical College and Hospital(PMCH) in the past 15 days.
Sanjata Choudhary, head of the department of paediatric in PMCH, said 80 children suffering from the disease were admitted to the hospital.
For the first time since the reports of deaths appeared, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar Monday said it was a big challenge that a brain fever like disease had claimed the lives of so many children in the state.
Choubey said the government expected the central government to help check and control the mysterious disease.
Some doctors and health officials have reportedly said the children were showing symptoms similar to encephalitis.
Last year, encephalitis, a mosquito-borne disease, claimed nearly 150 lives in Muzaffarpur and Gaya districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in