Delhi docs claim to have developed cheaper dental implants
New Delhi: A group of Delhi-based scientists claimed to have developed cheaper dental implants which may help reduce dependence on expensive imported devices.
Dental implants are the answer to the problem of missing teeth. It replaces both the lost natural tooth and its root.
It is an artificial tooth root that is placed into the jaw to hold a replacement tooth.
In India, dentist have to depend on imported dental implants which are expensive.
Dr Mahesh Verma, Director and Principal of Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences and Professor Naresh Bhatnagar with the Department of Mechanical Engineering in Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, claimed to have successfully accomplished the animal trials for their newly-developed dental implants.
"We have indigenously developed dental implants. This completely replicates the international standards. At present, we are doing the human trials after we got successful and encouraging results from our animal trials," Dr Verma said.
"There was a need to develop this as imported implants are extremely expensive. Only one dental implant costs the government around Rs 17,000-Rs 18,000. If we consider the same implant for someone who has lost all the 32 teeth, the expense will be more than a lakh. Moreover, we want to have our own product," he said.
In order to meet the international standards in terms of design, size, type of material and coating, help from IIT was sought.
Once the human trials are over, this technology could be passed off to an Indian manufacturer who will develop the same and make the implants available in Indian market at reasonably cheaper rates, Dr Verma said.
He cautioned, "Not all people who lose tooth are ideal candidates for an implant. We consider only those who have good oral health. He or she should have adequate bones in the jaw and his gums should be free form diseases which is needed to support the implant."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Analysing the murder mystery of Sheena Bora case- Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack