Delhi hospital marks Heart Day with walk
New Delhi: In an effort to promote a healthy lifestyle, a walkathon was organised Sunday in the national capital by a private hospital to mark World Heart Day.
"Walking is an ideal low-impact exercise. Physical activity does not need to be complicated. Something as simple as a daily brisk walk can help you live healthier. Keeping this in mind, we initiated the walkathon in celebration of World Heart Day, to bring about a positive and long-term sustainable behavioural change," said Neeraj Mishra, vice president, operations, Max Super Speciality Hospital, Patparganj.
More than 1,000 people living in the apartment blocks near the east Delhi hospital participated in the walkathon.
Senior cardiovascular consultants spent time with children, telling them about the health hazards posed by excessive consumption of junk food and too much "screen time" (time spent watching TV, working on the computer or with I-Pads).
Parents were encouraged to guide their children to healthy practices, like taking part in outdoor activities and sports.
The theme of World Heart Day this year was "Prevention and control of cardiovascular disease (CVD), with a focus on women and children".
"The increasing prevalence of diseases like hypertension (high blood pressure), dyslipidemia (abnormal amount of lipids -- cholesterol and fat), diabetes and obesity has led to an increase in the burden of cardiovascular diseases in India. Reports from World Health Organisation indicate that cardiovascular diseases (CVDs) will be the largest cause of death and disability in India by 2020," said Manoj Kumar, principal consultant, cardiology, Max Super Speciality Hospital.
Since 2000, Sep 29 each year has been observed as World Heart Day by the World Heart Federation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees