Delhi hospital marks Heart Day with walk
New Delhi: In an effort to promote a healthy lifestyle, a walkathon was organised Sunday in the national capital by a private hospital to mark World Heart Day.
"Walking is an ideal low-impact exercise. Physical activity does not need to be complicated. Something as simple as a daily brisk walk can help you live healthier. Keeping this in mind, we initiated the walkathon in celebration of World Heart Day, to bring about a positive and long-term sustainable behavioural change," said Neeraj Mishra, vice president, operations, Max Super Speciality Hospital, Patparganj.
More than 1,000 people living in the apartment blocks near the east Delhi hospital participated in the walkathon.
Senior cardiovascular consultants spent time with children, telling them about the health hazards posed by excessive consumption of junk food and too much "screen time" (time spent watching TV, working on the computer or with I-Pads).
Parents were encouraged to guide their children to healthy practices, like taking part in outdoor activities and sports.
The theme of World Heart Day this year was "Prevention and control of cardiovascular disease (CVD), with a focus on women and children".
"The increasing prevalence of diseases like hypertension (high blood pressure), dyslipidemia (abnormal amount of lipids -- cholesterol and fat), diabetes and obesity has led to an increase in the burden of cardiovascular diseases in India. Reports from World Health Organisation indicate that cardiovascular diseases (CVDs) will be the largest cause of death and disability in India by 2020," said Manoj Kumar, principal consultant, cardiology, Max Super Speciality Hospital.
Since 2000, Sep 29 each year has been observed as World Heart Day by the World Heart Federation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- EPL 2016-17: Gameweek 3 — City go top with win over Hammers
- Glowing distant stars become Hubble's latest subject! - See pic
- PM Modi reaches out to people of Kashmir Valley, talks of 'unity and compassion', slams those fomenting trouble
- Clothes that repair their own rips? Study swears on new coatings!
- BCCI exempts Chennai Super Kings, Rajasthan Royals from paying annual IPL franchise fee: Report