Delhi smog hits asthmatics
New Delhi, Nov 3 (IANS) Asthma patients have to take extra care in the city`s smoggy conditions that have been prevailing for the past few days, a doctor at Max Hospital said Saturday.
"Heavy smog in the city is causing respiratory tract infections and other health problems and people are advised to wear an air filter mask when outside," he added.
The fall in temperature is also leading to headaches, mood swings and depression.
A senior scientist from Delhi Pollution Control Committee said that major cause of this smoggy weather is due to lower temperature, lower wind speed and pollutants not getting dispersed.
He said that air pollution in the city is also the major reason behind this weather and cyclone Nilam is also effecting Delhi`s weather.
Senior scientist R.M. Bhardwaj of Central Pollution Control Board said: "Increasing number of vehicles in the city is one of the major factors for rising air pollution."
An official of the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) said that winds are very slow and dust particles in the air are causing smog.
Asthma patient Tina Sharma, a resident of R.K. Puram here, said: "Haze is the worst time for asthma patients. When I step out I carry my nebuliser (inhaler) with me," she said.
Aarti Vij, 33, a mother of a five-year-old, said: "Smog and pollutants are suffocating, particularly for asthma patients. This is the worst time for my child. I have to keep his nebuliser handy."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India