Depressed stroke survivors face triple death risk
Washington: Stroke victims who are depressed are likely to face a triple risk of early death than people who have not experienced a stroke or depression, says a new study.
"Up to one in three people who have a stroke develop depression. This is something family members can help watch for that could potentially save their loved one," said study author Amytis Towfighi.
Towfighi is with the Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California and Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Centre in Los Angeles.
Towfighi noted that similar linkages have been found regarding depression and heart attack but less is known about the association between stroke, depression and death, said a university statement.
"Our research highlights the importance of screening for and treating depression in people who have experienced a stroke," said Towfighi.
"Given how common depression is after stroke, and the potential consequences of having depression, looking for signs and symptoms and addressing them may be key."
The research covered 10,550 people between the ages of 25 and 74.
Of those, 73 had a stroke but did not develop depression, 48 had stroke and depression, 8,138 did not have a stroke or depression and 2,291 did not have a stroke but were depressed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview