Depression symptoms of Huntington`s disease prevented in mice
Washington: Lund University researchers have succeeded in preventing very early symptoms of Huntington`s disease, depression and anxiety, by deactivating the mutated Huntington protein in the brains of mice.
Asa Petersen, Associate Professor of Neuroscience at Lund University, asserted that they`re the first to show that it is possible to prevent the depression symptoms of Huntington`s disease by deactivating the diseased protein in nerve cell populations in the hypothalamus in the brain.
Huntington`s is a debilitating disease for which there is still neither cure nor sufficient treatment. The dance-like movements that characterise the disease have long been the focus for researchers, but the emotional problems affect the patient earlier than the motor symptoms.
These are now believed to stem from a different part of the brain - the small emotional centre called the hypothalamus.
"Now that we have been able to show in animal experiments that depression and anxiety occur very early in Huntington`s disease, we want to identify more specifically which nerve cells in the hypothalamus are critical in the development of these symptoms. In the long run, this gives us better opportunities to develop more accurate treatments that can attack the mutated huntingtin where it does the most damage", said Petersen.
As the role of the hypothalamus in Huntington`s disease is gradually mapped, knowledge might be gained from drug research for other psychiatric diseases.
It is likely that similar mechanisms control different types of depression, according to Petersen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda