Detailed genomic analysis of ovarian cancer
London: Scientists have completed a detailed analysis of genomic changes in ovarian cancer, which will help better understand the biology of the dreaded disease and improve diagnosis and treatment of it.
The analysis has provided the most comprehensive and integrated view of cancer genes for any cancer type to date.
The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA) Research Network examined ovarian serous adenocarcinoma tumors from 500 patients.
Serous adenocarcinoma is the most prevalent form of ovarian cancer, accounting for about 85 percent of all ovarian cancer deaths.
TCGA researchers completed whole-exome sequencing, which examines the protein-coding regions of the genome, on an unprecedented 316 tumors.
They also completed other genomic characterizations on these tumors and another 173 specimens.
“This landmark study is producing impressive insights into the biology of this type of cancer,” NIH Director Francis Collins, M.D., Ph.D, said.
“It will significantly empower the cancer research community to make additional discoveries that will help us treat women with this deadly disease. It also illustrates the power of what’s to come from our investment in TCGA,” he added.
Among the specific findings is the confirmation that mutations in a single gene, TP53, are present in more than 96 percent of all such cancers.
In addition, TCGA identified a multitude of less-frequent mutations in other genes.
TCGA researchers also established how sets of genes are expressed in a fashion that can predict patient survival, identifying patterns for 108 genes associated with poor survival and 85 genes associated with better survival.
The findings were reported in the June 30, 2011, issue of Nature.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate