Developing nations facing obesity epidemic
Washington: A global policy group has called on the governments of developing nations to take comprehensive action to tackle the rising incidence of obesity.
According to a new report released by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), obesity levels have reached endemic proportions in such countries, reports Discovery News.
The OECD assessed obesity levels in the emerging countries of Brazil, China, India, Mexico, Russia and South Africa.
It said low-income countries could not cope with the health consequences of wide-scale obesity.
Rates in Brazil and South Africa already outstrip the OECD average.
According to OECD, the increasing prosperity in some developing countries has led to a rise in ‘Western’ lifestyles, thus resulting in an obesity surge.
Across all the countries represented in the OECD, 50 percent of adults are overweight or obese.
Rates in the Russian Federation are only just below this, and while fewer than 20 percent of Indians are classed this way, and fewer than 30 percent of Chinese people, the body says things are worsening fast.
The report recommends that these countries should act now to slow the increase, with media campaigns promoting healthier lifestyles, taxes and subsidies to improve diets, tighter government regulation of food labelling and restrictions on food advertising.
The authors believe that by doing this would add one million years of ‘life in good health’ to India``s population, and four million to China over the next 20 years.
The cost would be considerable - the equivalent of hundreds of pounds per year in both countries.
However, the OECD insists that the strategy would pay for itself in terms of reduced health care costs, becoming cost-effective at worst within 15 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Uttarakhand: BJP MLA Prem Singh Rana insulted during CM Harish Rawat's speech
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey