Diabetes drug restores memory loss caused by Alzheimer’s
Washington: A drug that was initially used to treat insulin resistance in diabetics has shown promise as a way to improve cognitive function in Alzheimer’s sufferers.
Working with genetically engineered mice designed to serve as models for Alzheimer’s, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston researchers found that treatment with the anti-insulin-resistance drug rosiglitazone enhanced learning and memory as well as normalized insulin resistance.
The scientists believe that the drug produced the response by reducing the negative influence of Alzheimer’s on the behavior of a key brain-signaling molecule.
The molecule, called extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK), becomes hyperactive both in the brains of Alzheimer’s patients and in the mice at a disease stage corresponding to mild cognitive impairment in human Alzheimer’s. This excessive activity leads to improper synaptic transmission between neurons, interfering with learning and memory.
"Using this drug appears to restore the neuronal signaling required for proper cognitive function," said UTMB professor Larry Denner, the lead author of the study.
"It gives us an opportunity to test several FDA-approved drugs to normalize insulin resistance in Alzheimer’s patients and possibly also enhance memory, and it also gives us a remarkable tool to use in animal models to understand the molecular mechanisms that underlie cognitive issues in Alzheimer’s,” he added.
The study has been published online in the Journal of Neuroscience.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!