Diarrhoea causes 1.5 mn infant deaths a year: UN
Geneva: Diarrhoea still claims the lives of
1.5 million children under the age of five a year, UN agencies
warned on Wednesday, as they launched a new campaign against the
"It is a tragedy that diarrhoea, which is little more
than an inconvenience in the developed world, kills an
estimated 1.5 million children each year," said Ann Veneman,
executive director of the UN Children`s Fund (UNICEF.)
"Inexpensive and effective treatments for diarrhoea
exist, but in developing countries only 39 per cent of
children with diarrhoea receive the recommended treatment,"
Close to 18 percent of all deaths among children under
five are due to diarrhoea, largely caused by contaminated
water and infections, said Olivier Fontaine, the World Health
Organisation`s expert on children`s health.
UNICEF and the World Health Organisation today launched a
seven-point plan to prevent and treat diarrhoea, including
replacing body fluids to prevent dehydration, zinc treatment,
promotion of early breastfeeding, and promotion of hand
washing with soap.
According to the WHO, 50 million children have been saved
thanks to the low cost treatment of oral rehydration salts, a
treatment that has been available for the past 25 years.
The simple act of hand washing with soap can reduce the
incidence of diarrhoeal diseases by over 40 percent, added
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH