Diet, not exercise, key to losing weight
Exercising is not the best way to lose weight because our activity levels are the same as they were 20 years ago. Rather a balanced diet is instrumental in shedding that flab, says a study.
John Speakman of Aberdeen University in Britain ascribes the growing obesity problem to people eating too much, not a lack of exercise.
Working with a Dutch colleague, Speakman analysed two decades of studies on energy expenditure, reports the Daily Mail.
The data showed that despite greater reliance on time-saving technology, people today are not any less active than those of 20 years ago.
Factors such as decline in the number of children walking to school and a rise in TV watching do not necessarily equate to weight gain, according to the International Journal of Obesity.
For example, children driven to school have more time to spend running around in the playground while evening TV watching has replaced other sedentary activities such as reading and listening to the radio.
Speakman told the British Science Festival: "In the 1950s, no one would have bought an exercise bike and sat on it in their garage but now people will do that."
However, the researcher stressed that physical activity is good for the body in other ways and should be part of a "healthy, balanced lifestyle."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler