Dieters turning into SWANNS
London: After trying their hands at a slew of slimming-down methods, women have decided to turn into SWANNS – ‘slim women who absorb no nutrients’, in their latest bid to stay slim.
A new study has suggested that majority of women are avoiding vitamins and minerals as a part of their low-calorie, low-fat diet chart in a bid to stay trim.
Nutritionists, who have named such women as ‘Slim Women Absorbing No Nutrients’ or SWANNS, believe that many are seduced by products marketed as having low fat or sugar, but which often lack nutrients such as iron, vitamin D and calcium.
Researchers at Spatone, which produces liquid iron supplements, found many women resort to lettuce salad lunches, which are low in calories and not high in nutrients, with some even skipping meals.
“It is possible to look super slim but if you’re not eating the right foods, you’re causing damage on the inside,” the Daily Mail quoted nutritional therapist Fleur Borrelli as saying.
“For maximum mental performance your need to keep you blood sugar levels on an even keel throughout the day by eating a balanced diet of protein, carbohydrates, fruit and vegetables regularly.
“By skipping meals we also tend to make up for the meals we skip later on in the day by eating empty calorie foods such as crisps and chocolate which have little nutritional value.
“How many times have you thought “I’ll have this muffin now but I’ll skip dinner to make up for it”?
“This use of mental justification for poor diet is a classic example of empty calories being eaten instead of nutritionally balanced meals,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog