Dieters turning into SWANNS
London: After trying their hands at a slew of slimming-down methods, women have decided to turn into SWANNS – ‘slim women who absorb no nutrients’, in their latest bid to stay slim.
A new study has suggested that majority of women are avoiding vitamins and minerals as a part of their low-calorie, low-fat diet chart in a bid to stay trim.
Nutritionists, who have named such women as ‘Slim Women Absorbing No Nutrients’ or SWANNS, believe that many are seduced by products marketed as having low fat or sugar, but which often lack nutrients such as iron, vitamin D and calcium.
Researchers at Spatone, which produces liquid iron supplements, found many women resort to lettuce salad lunches, which are low in calories and not high in nutrients, with some even skipping meals.
“It is possible to look super slim but if you’re not eating the right foods, you’re causing damage on the inside,” the Daily Mail quoted nutritional therapist Fleur Borrelli as saying.
“For maximum mental performance your need to keep you blood sugar levels on an even keel throughout the day by eating a balanced diet of protein, carbohydrates, fruit and vegetables regularly.
“By skipping meals we also tend to make up for the meals we skip later on in the day by eating empty calorie foods such as crisps and chocolate which have little nutritional value.
“How many times have you thought “I’ll have this muffin now but I’ll skip dinner to make up for it”?
“This use of mental justification for poor diet is a classic example of empty calories being eaten instead of nutritionally balanced meals,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA