Dieting can lead to aggressive behaviour
London: Those cutting out the calories are more irritable and angry than those who eat what they like, according to researchers.
Their study revealed that the effort involved in exerting self-control over food can even lead to aggressive behaviour towards other people.
Those on diets are more likely to prefer anger-themed movies, were more interested in looking at angry facial expressions, and expressed more irritation at a message that used controlling language to convince them to change their exercise habits, it found.
“We set out to examine whether exerting self-control can indeed lead to a wide range of angry behaviours and preferences subsequently, even in situations where such behaviours are quite subtle,” a newspaper quoted US authors David Gal of Northwestern University and Wendy Liu of the University of California, as saying.
“Research has shown that exerting self-control makes people more likely to behave aggressively toward others and people on diets are known to be irritable and quick to anger.”
Researchers found that people who chose an apple instead of a chocolate bar were more likely to choose movies with anger and revenge themes.
In a separate study, dieters had more favourable opinions toward a public policy message that used an anger-framed appeal – “if funds are not increased for police training, more criminals will escape prison” – than they did toward a “sad” message.
But participants who chose a healthy snack over a less-healthy one were more irritated by a marketer’s message that included controlling language – words such as “you ought to,” “need to,” and “must”.
The findings are published in the US Journal of Consumer Research.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!