Differences in lung function worldwide may have major health impact
Washington:A global study has suggested that large differences in lung function between healthy people from different socioeconomic and geographical regions of the world could impact their health.
The large differences in lung function could not be accounted for by variations across regions in height, weight, age, gender, education levels and rural or urban location.
Dr. MyLinh Duong, lead author of the paper and an assistant professor of medicine of the Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine at McMaster University, said that the findings have important public health implications, as there is a well known link between low lung function and increased mortality.
Researchers at McMaster University said that these differences may be genetically determined, but more likely most relate to the socio-economic, nutritional and environmental exposures of people in the different regions. These are all conditions that could be modified or improved.
Respirologist Dr. Paul O``Byrne, who is the co-author of the paper, said that these findings are of great importance, as we need separate standards for what is considered normal in different parts of the world and may lead us to rethink how to define those with abnormal lung function.
The study included 154,000 adult non-smokers between 35 and 70 years old from 17 countries from four continents.
Some of the factors such as nutrition and pollution levels will be explored in future analysis of the study.
The study is published in the journal, The Lancet Respiratory Medicine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal