Dining out `ups diabetes risk`
Researchers has claimed that corporate lunches and dinners at restaurants dishing up rich, fatty foods, coupled with sedentary working lives are responsible for an alarming rise of diabetes in young men.
Dr Neale Cohen, of the Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute, said many patients were unaware meals at upmarket restaurants were often as high in fat, salt and sugar as fast food, reports the Sydney Morning Herald .
``Eating out is really code for eating badly. Whether it`s a fine French restaurant or McDonald`s, it`s the type of food that causes the problem,`` Dr Cohen said.
He said doctors at the institute are seeing men as young as 40 affected by type 2 diabetes, which is often triggered by obesity and linked to poor diet.
``Many of my patients will eat out three or four times a week for work and we are seeing 40-year-old businessmen who are in real trouble. To have diabetes at that age and otherwise be perfectly well with very little family history, is a really worrying thing,`` he said.
Dr Cohen recommends his patients only eat out once a week but said the ``MasterChef effect`` was encouraging people to re-create the elaborate dishes at home.
Dr Leon Massage, who runs a private weight-loss clinic, Body Metabolism Institute, is also seeing younger patients with type 2 diabetes.
``There is a straight-line relationship between the number of times they dine out a week and their waistline ... The aim of every good chef is to create a dish that titillates and makes people salivate and the only way you can do that is ... (to) add lots of fat and salt and oil,`` Dr Leon added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing