Discovery of new bacteria `may lead to antibiotic alternatives`
Washington: In a new study, scientists have discovered an Achilles heel within human cells that bacteria are able to exploit for causing and spreading infection.
According to the researchers, their findings could lead to the development of new anti-infective drugs as alternatives to antibiotics whose overuse has led to resistance.
University of Manchester researchers studied Listeria, a potentially deadly group of bacteria that can cause listeriosis in humans when digested, and found they are able to spread infection by hitching a ride on a naturally occurring protein called calpain.
“Bacteria produce a number of chemicals that allow them to invade a host and to establish an infection,” David Brough, lead researcher of the study, said.
“The chemicals produced depend upon many factors, such as the species of bacteria, the type of host, and also whether the infection grows inside or outside a cell.
“We have investigated the growth of Listeria, a pathogenic bacterium that grows inside cells. An essential step for its growth, and thus the infection, is the bacteria’s ability to move from within one compartment in a cell to another.
“We discovered that in order for this particular type of bacteria to move and to grow some of the host cells biology is exploited, a protein called calpain. Without calpain the bacteria cannot move within the cell and so do not grow.
“This discovery highlights the possibility of using drugs against these host proteins to block infections, potentially reducing the need to use antibiotics,” he said.
The study has been published in the journal PLoS ONE.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Gael Monfils to face Ivo Karlovic in Washington Open final
- Olympics 2016: IOC faces historic call on Russia Rio ban
- Kashmir unrest over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew lifted from these four districts - FULL DETAILS
- Salman Khan plans a special birthday party for alleged girlfriend Iulia Vantur? - Know more
- Major water crisis in Chandigarh, Mohali and Panchkula - Know reason behind it