Discovery of new bacteria `may lead to antibiotic alternatives`
Washington: In a new study, scientists have discovered an Achilles heel within human cells that bacteria are able to exploit for causing and spreading infection.
According to the researchers, their findings could lead to the development of new anti-infective drugs as alternatives to antibiotics whose overuse has led to resistance.
University of Manchester researchers studied Listeria, a potentially deadly group of bacteria that can cause listeriosis in humans when digested, and found they are able to spread infection by hitching a ride on a naturally occurring protein called calpain.
“Bacteria produce a number of chemicals that allow them to invade a host and to establish an infection,” David Brough, lead researcher of the study, said.
“The chemicals produced depend upon many factors, such as the species of bacteria, the type of host, and also whether the infection grows inside or outside a cell.
“We have investigated the growth of Listeria, a pathogenic bacterium that grows inside cells. An essential step for its growth, and thus the infection, is the bacteria’s ability to move from within one compartment in a cell to another.
“We discovered that in order for this particular type of bacteria to move and to grow some of the host cells biology is exploited, a protein called calpain. Without calpain the bacteria cannot move within the cell and so do not grow.
“This discovery highlights the possibility of using drugs against these host proteins to block infections, potentially reducing the need to use antibiotics,” he said.
The study has been published in the journal PLoS ONE.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore