`Dissolved oxygen in alcohol can help cut hangover`
Washington: Scientists have discovered that
increasing dissolved oxygen concentrations in alcohol may help
reduce hangovers as well as alcohol-related side effects and
The research at the Chungnam National University, South
Korea, found that dissolved oxygen concentrations in alcoholic
drinks can accelerate the metabolism and elimination of
The more the concentration of dissolved oxygen, the
faster is the ethanol, or alcohol, oxidation, which reduces
its influence on the person, it found.
"Ethanol is oxidized to acetaldehyde, then further
oxidized to water and carbon dioxide in the body after
consumption," said Kwang-il Kwon, the lead author of the
Acetaldehyde is an organic chemical compound produced
by oxidation of ethanol and is popularly believed to be the
cause of hangovers, the ScienceDaily reported.
"Several studies have indicated that high-oxygen water
can enhance the survival ability of mice, fatigue recovery,
and anoxia endurance function," said Hye Gwang Jeong, the
co-author of the study.
"This study is the first to investigate the influence of
dissolved oxygen concentrations on the pharmacokinetics of
alcohol in healthy human subjects," he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know