Do tea, eye masks help you sleep better?
There are a million solutions that raid the market every year to make your life better - Organic tea, eye masks, musical pillows and light projectors for instance – which guarantee a good night`s sleep. But do these products really work?
Professor Jim Horne, of the Sleep Research Centre at Loughborough University, reviews sleep aids available on the High Street.
The sound asleep pillow: A 15-pound pillow with hidden speakers that can be hooked up to iPods, MP3 players and radios. There`s no timer, so you must switch the music off yourself or make a timed playlist.
"If worries or stress are preventing you from falling asleep, listening to calm music might prove a useful diversion. If you didn`t like the music aspect to it you are at least left with a pillow," the Daily Mail quoted Horne as saying.
Pukka night time organic tea: Costing 2.09 pounds for 20 sachets, this tea contains lavender flower and liquorice root, both said to soothe the mind and ease tension. There`s also limeflower to calm the nervous system.
"I`m not sure the ingredients would be present in large enough quantities to make you feel sleepy. However there can be a strong placebo effect with something like this," said Horne.
Sweet dreams sleep mask: It costs 7.95 pounds and claims to block out 100 per cent of light and is contoured so that no pressure is put on to the eyes. It also comes with ear plugs.
"It`s dark most of the time when we`re trying to sleep, so this wouldn`t help insomniacs. However this might be useful if light comes into your bedroom or if you have to sleep during the day," Horne said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report