Dodge these brain waves to stay alert
New York: Accidents often happen when we fail to see an unexpected object while driving and to see more and miss less, staying focused on our experience could be the key, a study suggests.
The alpha waves, typically thought of as electrical activity of the brain when it is at rest, can actually influence what we see or what we do not see, revealed the study.
The alpha can inhibit what is processed visually, making it hard for us to see something unexpected, said the study.
By focusing attention fully on what we are experiencing, the executive function of the brain can come into play and put a brake on the alpha waves, thus allowing us to see things that we might have missed in a more relaxed state.
“When we have different things competing for our attention, we can only be aware of so much of what we see,” said Kyle Mathewson from Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology at University of Illinois.
“For example, when you are driving, you might really be concentrating on obeying traffic signals,” Mathewson noted.
The study examined 16 participants and mapped the electrical and optical data onto individual MRI brain images.
The researchers discovered that the alpha waves are produced in the cuneus, located in the part of the brain that processes visual information.
“We found that the same brain regions known to control our attention are involved in suppressing the alpha waves and improving our ability to detect hard-to-see targets,” said Diane Beck, at associate professor at Beckman Institute.
“Knowing where the waves originate means we can target that area specifically with electrical stimulation” Mathewson added.
The study appeared in the Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI: Alex Hales, Jason Roy power hosts to crushing win
- Tri-Nation series: Darren Bravo, Shannon Gabriel help West Indies topple South Africa
- China renews yellow alert for heat wave
- Navjot Singh Sidhu gets place in Punjab BJP core committee, Anil Joshi out