Dopamine also regulates your sleep, scientists say
Washington: Dopamine, or the feel-good brain chemical, has been linked to everything from laziness to creativity and from impulsivity to drug addiction.
Now, a new study has added sleep regulation to that list.
Researchers at the University of Barcelona in Spain found that when dopamine latches onto its receptor in a special part of the brain, it seems to signal the body to "wake up" by turning down levels of the sleepiness hormone melatonin.
The first clue to this new discovery came when researchers noticed that dopamine receptor four, a protein on the outside of certain cells that binds to dopamine, was active in the part of the brain called pineal gland which regulates our internal clock, or the circadian rhythm, by releasing melatonin in response to light.
Interestingly, presence of the dopamine receptor on pineal gland cells seemed to cycle with the time of the day, the receptor numbers were high at night and lower during the day.
The researchers therefore thought this protein may be important in the circadian rhythm, your body`s daily cycle of proteins that regulate daily patterns of feeding, sleeping, body temperature and other functions, LiveScience reported.
During the night, they found, the pineal gland produces a hormone called melatonin that makes you sleepy.
By studying human cells and rat pineal glands in the lab, the researchers have now found that the dopamine D4 receptor hooks up on the outside of pineal gland cells alongside norepinephrine receptors to dampen this melatonin-secretion signal in the early morning.
And while the norepinephrine complex turns up melatonin, along with your sleepiness, when dopamine and its receptor come into the picture, it forms a complex of proteins that does the opposite, said the researchers who detailed their study in the journal PLoS Biology.
When dopamine interacts with its receptor on the outside of the pineal cells, it interferes with the signal sent into the cell, leading to low production and release of melatonin.
Luckily, dopamine`s light-dark cycle means the two (dopamine receptor and the norepinephrine`s receptor, called the andrenergic receptor only hook up at the end of the night.
"The system is expressed in the evening. The dopamine receptor level peaks and you get this nice inhibition of the adrenergic receptor," study researcher Peter McCormick said.
"Everything is sort of on a delay so that by morning time or sunrise you get a complete inhibition of melatonin production."
Studying how these two receptors work together in more depth could give researchers a better understanding of circadian rhythm and its associated disorders, like jet lag, the researchers noted.
It could also be relevant to sleep and mood disorders, such as depression, which involves not only odd dopamine levels in the brain, but also disturbed sleep patterns, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview