Dr Reddy`s, Sun Pharma get USFDA nod for heart disease drug
Hyderabad: Drug firms Dr Reddy`s Laboratories, Sun Pharma and Aurobindo Pharma today said they have received US health regulator`s approval to sell generic Plavix, used in treating heart diseases, in the American market.
Dr Reddy`s said it has launched clopidogrel tablets in the American market today after receiving approval from the US Food and Drug Administration (USFDA).
Clopidogrel tablets are the generic version of Sanofi Aventis` Plavix tablets.
Dr Reddy`s has received approval for tablets in strengths of 75 mg and 300 mg, while Aurobindo Pharma and Sun Pharma have received USFDA`s approval for the tablets in 75 mg strength.
According to IMS Health sales data, clopidogrel tablets had sales of around USD 6.74 billion in the US market for the twelve months ended March, 2012.
Dr Reddy`s said its 300 mg clopidogrel tablets have been awarded 180-days of marketing exclusivity in the US market.
The company said its product in 75 mg strength is available in bottle count sizes of 30, 90 and 500 while 300 mg strength drug is available in blister packs of 30 count.
Clopidogrel tablets fall under the cardio-vascular therapeutic segment and is recommended for the prevention of various heart ailments including peripheral arterial disease.
Shares of Dr Reddy`s Laboratories were trading at Rs 1,657.40 on the BSE in afternoon trade, down 0.27 per cent from its previous close. While scrips of Aurobindo Pharma were up 0.99 per cent on the BSE at Rs 107.20, those of Sun Pharma rose 0.39 per cent at Rs 582.50 in the afternoon trade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test