Dr Reddy`s, Sun Pharma get USFDA nod for heart disease drug
Hyderabad: Drug firms Dr Reddy`s Laboratories, Sun Pharma and Aurobindo Pharma today said they have received US health regulator`s approval to sell generic Plavix, used in treating heart diseases, in the American market.
Dr Reddy`s said it has launched clopidogrel tablets in the American market today after receiving approval from the US Food and Drug Administration (USFDA).
Clopidogrel tablets are the generic version of Sanofi Aventis` Plavix tablets.
Dr Reddy`s has received approval for tablets in strengths of 75 mg and 300 mg, while Aurobindo Pharma and Sun Pharma have received USFDA`s approval for the tablets in 75 mg strength.
According to IMS Health sales data, clopidogrel tablets had sales of around USD 6.74 billion in the US market for the twelve months ended March, 2012.
Dr Reddy`s said its 300 mg clopidogrel tablets have been awarded 180-days of marketing exclusivity in the US market.
The company said its product in 75 mg strength is available in bottle count sizes of 30, 90 and 500 while 300 mg strength drug is available in blister packs of 30 count.
Clopidogrel tablets fall under the cardio-vascular therapeutic segment and is recommended for the prevention of various heart ailments including peripheral arterial disease.
Shares of Dr Reddy`s Laboratories were trading at Rs 1,657.40 on the BSE in afternoon trade, down 0.27 per cent from its previous close. While scrips of Aurobindo Pharma were up 0.99 per cent on the BSE at Rs 107.20, those of Sun Pharma rose 0.39 per cent at Rs 582.50 in the afternoon trade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional