DRDO medicine to counter side effects of radiation therapy
New Delhi: Cancer patients undergoing
radiation therapy will now be able to escape its side effects
with the Defence Research and Development Organisation
claiming that it has developed a medicine to counter them.
After a 15-year research, the DRDO has developed the
medicine -- 2-Deoxy-D-glucose. The new drug has got clearance
from the Drug Controller General of India.
"The product is slated to hit the markets in the next
three months," DRDO scientist and chief controller, Life
Sciences, Dr W Selvamurthy said.
The harmful effects of radiation treatment can be in
the form of loss of hair, appetite, fatigue, mouth and
throat inflammation, skin problems, memory loss, lower sexual
desire or poor tolerance for cold weather, nausea, changes in
vision and permanent loss of sperm production -- all depending
on the area of treatment.
"We have developed a medicine 2-Deoxy-D-glucose which
will relieve the cancer patients from the burden of side
effects of radiation therapy. We are finally getting this
after a research of 15 years," Selvamurthy said.
"This medicine will help reduce the dosage of
radiation to be given to the cancer patient, since it ensures
that only the cancer cells are destroyed and the normal one`s
are protected during therapy, which ultimately relieves the
patients from the side effects of the therapy," Selvamurty
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Delhi Assembly passes resolution against MHA notification: As it happened