Drinking alcohol during puberty makes you addicts
London: People who begin drinking alcohol during puberty are more likely to become addicts, a German study has said.
Many parents think that supervised early drinking encourages children to have a more responsible attitude to alcohol. But a new study has said that those who begin to drink during puberty, tend to drink more later in life, the Daily Mail reported.
Researchers from the University of Heidelberg in Germany reached the conclusion after analysing the drinking habits of 283 young adults.
Study author Miriam Schneider said that while most teenagers have their first alcoholic drink during puberty, previous studies focused simply on drinkers` age when they began, and not their individual stage of development.
She said that tracking what phase of puberty people were in when they had their first drink "may represent a stronger and better indicator for subsequent alcohol-related problems than simply the age", the daily said.
The experts determined what stage of puberty participants had reached "at first drink", and then recorded their drinking behaviour at ages 19, 22 and 23.
The human research was supplemented by similar work on rats.
"Both studies revealed that those individuals that initiated alcohol consumption during puberty tended to drink more and also more frequently than those starting after puberty," the daily quoted Schneider as saying.
She said changes in the developing brain could explain the connection.
"It is during puberty that substances like drugs of abuse - alcohol, cannabis, etc. - may induce the most destructive and also persistent effects on the still-developing brain, which may in some cases even result in disorders such as schizophrenia or addiction."
Schneider`s colleague Rainer Spanagel added: "Puberty is a phase in which the brain reward system undergoes major functional changes. Therefore, during puberty the brain is in a highly vulnerable state for any kind of reward, and drug rewards in particular."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know