Drinking fluoridated water doesn`t increase hip fracture risk
Washington: A study that was conducted in Sweden has not found any association between drinking fluoridated water and hip fractures.
In this study a team of researchers, led by Peggy Nasman , Karolinska Institute, Department of Dental Medicine, Stockholm, Sweden, investigated possible adverse health effects on bone tissue from drinking fluoridated water.
The study included a large cohort of Swedish residents chronically exposed to various fluoride levels, with the hypothesis of a possible association between fluoride level in the drinking water and the risk of hip fracture.
The cariostatic benefit from water fluoridation is indisputable, but there has been debate over the past 60 years on possible adverse effects from fluoride on human health.
All individuals born in Sweden between January 1, 1900 and December 31, 1919, alive and living in their municipality of birth at the time of start of follow up were eligible for this study.
The information on the eligible study subjects (n=473,277) was linked among the Swedish National In-patient Register (IPR), the Swedish Cause of Death Register, and the Register of Population and Population Changes. Estimated individual drinking water fluoride exposure was stratified into four categories: very low less than 0.3mg/L, low 0.3 - 0.69mg/L, medium 0.7 - 1.49mg/L and high =1.5mg/L.
Nasman and her team of researchers found no association between chronic fluoride exposure and the risk of hip fracture.
The study has been published in the OnlineFirst portion of the IADR/AADR Journal of Dental Research.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi