Drinking spirits ups risk of acute pancreatitis
London: Drinking just one 4cl measure of spirits can increase the risk of an acute attack of pancreatitis, but wine or beer does not appear to have the same effect, according to researchers from the Karolinska Institutet in Sweden.
To come to the conclusion, the researchers followed 84,601 people from 46 to 84 years of age from the general population in Vastmanland and Uppsala for a median of ten years.
During that time 513 developed acute pancreatitis.
“Our study revealed a steady increase between each measure of spirits a person drank on one occasion and the risk of having an acute attack of pancreatitis, starting at just under ten per cent for one 4cl drink” stated lead author Dr Omid Sadr-Azodi.
“For example, drinking 20cl of spirits - five standard Swedish measures - on a single occasion increased the risk of an acute episode by 52 per cent and the risk then continued to increase at that rate for every five additional units consumed.
“But drinking more than five 15cl glasses of wine or five 33cl beers on one occasion did not increase the risk.
“We also discovered that the average monthly consumption of alcohol did not increase the risk,” he added.
The findings were published online by BJS, the British Journal of Surgery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details