Early detection of breast cancer is crucial: Walia
New Delhi: Timely check-ups and proper awareness about breast cancer are essential for the prevention of the disease, said Delhi Minister of Social Welfare, Women and Child Development Kiran Walia on Sunday.
"There is a mindset prevalent in many cancer patients that no one can save them. But they need to know that if it is detected in time, they can be saved," said Walia at the Annual Seminar on "Breast Cancer in Young Women" here.
The seminar was organised by 'Cancer Sahyog', the emotional support Group of Indian Cancer Society, Delhi.
"Check-ups from time to time is necessary as well as awareness about the disease," said Walia who saw closely one of her family members fighting breast cancer.
"For someone who had a first-hand experience of seeing what happens when anybody is affected by breast cancer, I know what it means," she said.
The seminar specially focused on women below 35 years of age who are increasingly affected by breast cancer.
"It can affect anybody at any age. However, it has been seen that breast cancer among young women is increasing at an alarming rate," said Chief of Head and Neck Surgery of Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute and Research Centre, A K Dewan.
The seminar also had a panel discussion on various issues like prevention of breast cancer, its risk factors, treatment and care among others which was attended by renowned doctors from the capital and cancer survivors too.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened