‘Eat fatter chips to stay slim’
New Delhi: Eat bigger and thicker chips if you want to stay slim, suggest officials from the Food Standards Agency.
They have said that chunkier versions of those potato or fish fryers absorb less fat and have lower calorie content.
But furious food industry representatives said they risk ruining Britain`s best-loved takeaway meal.
"They should be concentrating on fast food outlets that make the thin French fries, not the traditional independent chip shop. At the moment it seems like a case of picking on the little guys because they can`t touch the big guys," the Daily Express quoted Douglas Roxburgh of the National Federation of Fish Fryers as saying.
He also resented investing in new blades "just because councils say so".
An FSA spokesman said small changes in local chip shops could tackle Britain`s growing obesity crisis.
There are more than 11,000 fish and chip shops across the UK selling 255 million fish and chip meals every year.
A portion contains less calories and fat than a pizza, containing 871 calories and 11g of fat, or a chicken korma containing 910 calories and 15.5g of fat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof