Eat fruits, veggies and look sexy!
New Delhi: Eating vegetables and fruits can make you look attractive, says a new study, which showed that a healthy diet is crucial to achieving the most desirable complexion.
In the study, researchers from the universities of Bristol and St. Andrews in the UK found that the colour of a person`s skin affects how healthy and therefore attractive they appear.
Using specialist computer software, a total of 54 Caucasian participants of both sexes were asked to manipulate the skin colour of male and female Caucasian faces to make them look as healthy as possible. They chose to increase the rosiness, yellowness and brightness of the skin.
"We knew from our previous work that people who have more blood and more oxygen colour in their skins looked healthy, and so we decided to see what other colours affect health perceptions. This has given us some clues as to what other skin pigments may relate to a healthy appearance," said Dr. Ian Stephen who is now at the University of Bristol.
Skin that is slightly flushed with blood and full of oxygen suggests a strong heart and lungs; supporting the study`s findings that rosier skin appeared healthy.
Smokers and people with diabetes or heart disease have fewer blood vessels in their skin, and so skin would appear less rosy.
The preference for more golden or `yellow-toned` skin as healthier might be explained by the `carotenoid pigments` that we get from the fruit and vegetables in our diet.
These plant pigments are powerful antioxidants that soak up dangerous compounds produced when the body combats disease. They are also important for our immune and reproductive systems and may help prevent cancer.
They are the same dietary pigments that brightly coloured birds and fish use to show off their healthiness and attract mates, and the researchers think that similar biological mechanisms may be at work in humans.
"In the West we often think that sun tanning is the best way to improve the colour of your skin but our research suggests that living a healthy lifestyle with a good diet might actually be better," Stephen said.
Melanin, the pigment that causes the tan colon when skin is exposed to the sun makes the skin darker and more yellow, but participants in the study chose to make skin lighter and more yellow to make it look healthier.
Professor David Perrett, head of the Perception Lab at the University of St. Andrews, where the research took place," said: "What we eat and not just how much we eat appears to be important for a healthy appearance. The only natural way in which we can make our skin lighter and more yellow is to eat a more healthy diet high in fruit and vegetables."
The study has been published in the December issue of Springer`s International Journal of Primatology .
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof