Eat in-shell pistachios to `fool yourself full`
Washington: Two studies have indicated that consuming in-shell pistachios is a weight-wise approach to healthy snacking, offering unique mindful eating benefits to help curb consumption and decrease calorie intake.
The first study found that participants who consumed in-shell pistachios ate 41-per cent fewer calories compared to those who consumed shelled pistachios. The second study revealed that pistachio nut shells can provide important "visual cues" as a reminder of consumption that translate into reduced calorie consumption.
Both studies further underscored that in-shell pistachios, which are one of the lowest calorie nuts, are a practical, everyday snack for weight management.
"In-shell pistachios are the original ``slow food.`` The findings of these studies demonstrate that pistachios, as one of the only in-shell snack nuts, help slow consumption; and further, that the empty shells offer a visual cue, reducing calorie intake," said behavioural eating expert and study author, James Painter, Chair of the School of Family and Consumer Sciences at Eastern Illinois University.
"In fact, the term ``Pistachio Principle`` has been coined to describe a simple technique that can be used to help fool yourself full," added Painter.
The study is detailed in the journal Appetite.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say