Eat in-shell pistachios to `fool yourself full`
Washington: Two studies have indicated that consuming in-shell pistachios is a weight-wise approach to healthy snacking, offering unique mindful eating benefits to help curb consumption and decrease calorie intake.
The first study found that participants who consumed in-shell pistachios ate 41-per cent fewer calories compared to those who consumed shelled pistachios. The second study revealed that pistachio nut shells can provide important "visual cues" as a reminder of consumption that translate into reduced calorie consumption.
Both studies further underscored that in-shell pistachios, which are one of the lowest calorie nuts, are a practical, everyday snack for weight management.
"In-shell pistachios are the original ``slow food.`` The findings of these studies demonstrate that pistachios, as one of the only in-shell snack nuts, help slow consumption; and further, that the empty shells offer a visual cue, reducing calorie intake," said behavioural eating expert and study author, James Painter, Chair of the School of Family and Consumer Sciences at Eastern Illinois University.
"In fact, the term ``Pistachio Principle`` has been coined to describe a simple technique that can be used to help fool yourself full," added Painter.
The study is detailed in the journal Appetite.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you