New Delhi: On World Heart Day, say yes to good eating habits and exercise. Have low fat milk, make your plate colourful by opting for different coloured vegetables and fruits and much more, says an expert.
Sonal Raval, nutritionist at Snap Fitness India, shares dietary and health tips to help people have a healthy heart:
- Eat a variety of food items, but not in excess: Different coloured vegetables and fruits, pulses and legumes, low fat dairy products are some of the ways to prevent your food from becoming boring.
- Check your weight: Overweight can be the reason behind high blood pressure or disease like diabetes. To avoid such problems, it is best to keep a check on your weight. Eat slowly and take smaller portion, opt for low calories, but rich in nutrients food.
- Keep away from food rich in fat: Use skimmed or low fat milk and milk products. Bake, roast or boil rather than frying.
- Eat food with adequate fiber: Fruits and vegetables like carrot, cucumber and apple have skin. They should be consumed along with it.
- Avoid sugar in excess: White sugar, soft drinks, candies, chocolates, cakes and cookies should be avoided. Don't eat sweets between meals.
- Sodium should be taken in less quantity: Use small amount of salt to prepare dish, try more natural ways to add flavour to food items. Go with spices, lemon juice, tomatoes and curds, don't munch chips and fried foods constantly.
- Don't encourage exercises such as push-ups and sit-ups. Such exercises involve straining muscles against other muscles or an immovable object.
- Don't exercise outdoors when the temperature becomes extreme. High humidity may cause you to tire more quickly; extreme temperatures can make breathing difficult, and cause chest pain. Indoor activities such as mall walking are better.
- Exercise in hilly areas is a big no. If you are located in such places then slow down when climbing up the hill.
- If your exercise programme has been interrupted for a few days due to illness, vacation, or any other reason, start with a reduced level of activity.
Beat insomnia with yoga
Simple tips to reduce stomach acid