Eating chocolate cuts heart failure risk among women
London: Eating bits of chocolate occasionally can help protect women from heart failure. However, daily consumption seems to negate its positive benefits.
In a first ever nine-year study involving 31,823 Swedish women, researchers looked at the link between quantity of high-quality dark chocolate eaten and the risk of heart failure.
They found that women who ate an average of one to two servings of high-quality chocolate per week had a 32 percent lower risk of developing heart failure, reports the Telegraph.
Those who had one to three servings per month had a 26 percent lower risk, but those who ate at least one serving daily or more didn`t appear to benefit from a protective effect against heart failure, said the journal Circulation: Heart Failure
Murray Mittleman, who led the study, said the lack of a protective effect among women eating chocolate daily was probably due to the additional calories gained from eating chocolate instead of more nutritious foods.
Mittleman, the director of the Cardiovascular Epidemiology Research Unit at the Harvard Medical School in US, said: "You can`t ignore that chocolate is a relatively calorie-dense food and large amounts of habitual consumption is going to raise your risks for weight gain.
"But if you`re going to have a treat, dark chocolate is probably a good choice, as long as it`s in moderation."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan