Eating walnuts best bet for a healthy heart
A new study has suggested that walnuts have a combination of more healthful antioxidants and higher quality antioxidants than any other nut.
It positioned walnuts in the No. 1 slot among a family of foods that lay claim to being among Mother Nature`s most nearly perfect packaged foods: Tree and ground nuts.
"Walnuts rank above peanuts, almonds, pecans, pistachios and other nuts," said Joe Vinson, who did the analysis.
"A handful of walnuts contains almost twice as much antioxidants as an equivalent amount of any other commonly consumed nut. But unfortunately, people don`t eat a lot of them. This study suggests that consumers should eat more walnuts as part of a healthy diet," he added.
Vinson found that the quality, or potency, of antioxidants present in walnuts was highest among the nuts.
Antioxidants in walnuts were 2-15 times as potent as vitamin E, renowned for its powerful antioxidant effects that protect the body against damaging natural chemicals involved in causing disease.
"There`s another advantage in choosing walnuts as a source of antioxidants," said Vinson, who is with the University of Scranton in Pennsylvania.
"The heat from roasting nuts generally reduces the quality of the antioxidants. People usually eat walnuts raw or unroasted, and get the full effectiveness of those antioxidants," he added.
The report was presented at the 241st National Meeting and Exposition of the American Chemical Society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Shiv Sena backs Bajrang Dal, says 'take arms to fight terrorism'
- Original seeds of monster black holes detected, claim astronomers
- OnePlus to launch Loop VR headset this summer
- Wishes galore! Look what Bollywood has to say on Karan Johar's 44th birthday
- Controversial BJP MLA targets Nehru-Gandhi family, asks govt to bring down statues named after them