ECG, blood test must for chest pain sufferers: Study
London: Suffering from chest pain? Do not take it lightly for indigestion or gas pain. Better get an electrocardiogram (ECG) and blood test done to rule out the worst and avoid hospitalisation.
According to a study, clinical judgement, combined with an electrocardiogram (ECG) and blood test on hospital arrival is effective in reducing unnecessary hospital admissions for chest pain.
Chest pain is the most common reason for emergency hospital admission.
In the latest research, Richard Body from Manchester Royal Infirmary hospital, assessed the diagnostic accuracy of emergency doctors' clinical judgment for acute coronary syndromes - both alone and in combination with tests available on arrival like ECG and a blood test which detects a protein called troponin.
This data was then compared with patients' outcomes, including heart attack or the occurrence of major adverse cardiac events within 30 days.
The results showed that for patients who are suspected to have an acute coronary syndrome (ACS), clinical judgement cannot be relied upon by itself to rule out or rule in that diagnosis.
However, when combined with an ECG and troponin test, clinical judgement appeared to be an effective tool and the results suggest that at least 25 percent of patient admissions could have been avoided.
The study suggested that this was the case regardless of whether the clinician was a consultant or junior doctor.
"If initial tests are normal and the doctor thinks that the diagnosis of a heart attack is unlikely, it may be perfectly safe to reassure patients that they do not have a heart attack," said Rick Body, honorary lecturer in cardiovascular medicine at University of Manchester.
The findings were published in the Emergency Medicine Journal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda