Efficacy of vitamins in improving health ‘questionable’
Sydney: A new experiment conducted by a Time journalist has proved that the effect of vitamin pills on the human body is negligible.
John Cloud conducted an experiment on himself by following a regimen of vitamin pills that had been suggested to him by a vitamin company in the US and took 22 pills a day with protein bars and psyllium fibre.
Cloud’s doctor checked him out before and after his experiment and the only noticeable effect on his body was that his Vitamin D levels had increased and his weight had increased by almost five kilograms.
Samir Samman, an associate professor in human nutrition at Sydney University, said that the largest body of evidence on vitamin use showed their efficacy was questionable and also pointed to clinical trials of people suffering from cardiovascular disease who were given vitamins A, E, and C, beta-carotene and selenium.
“The first really important finding was that these made no effect - that there was no improvement in people taking large amounts of vitamins in relation to cardiovascular disease,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Samman as saying.
“The statistics also showed that large doses of vitamins actually have a small, but statistically significant, increase in mortality for these patients,” he stated.
Samman also claimed that Cloud`s experiment came to similar conclusions as other academic research into the efficacy of vitamins.
“You find sporadic bits of information promoting this, or saying that this is beneficial if you are being treated for a condition,” he said.
“But if people are otherwise healthy, and adequately nourished, then why are they taking additional supplements?” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez