Eggs are good for the heart
Eggs are not bad for heart health, say experts.
US egg expert Dr Don McNamara insists that their bad reputation is no longer warranted and even Heart Foundation has lifted its recommended intake to six eggs a week.
"Seniors have been afraid to eat eggs because for 40 years they have been worried about the dietary cholesterol,```` the Herald Sun quoted nutritional biochemist McNamara as saying.
"But, over the years, the research has clearly shown that cholesterol in our food doesn`t impact our risk for heart disease - (what causes) that is saturated fat and trans fat,``` he added.
Eggs are low in saturated fat and consist of some of the vital compounds like choline that are considered good for metabolism and for foetal brain development during pregnancy
It also contains lutein, which is known to lower the risk for cataracts and macular degeneration.
McNamara said those who eat eggs for breakfast feel fuller for longer and reduce the risk of overeating at lunch.
"Eggs have the highest quality protein you can buy in the supermarket for the lowest cost, and they contain every vitamin and mineral we need except for vitamin C,`` he said.
"So they easily fit into a healthy diet for people with normal cholesterol levels, people with high cholesterol levels, diabetics and people with metabolic syndrome,`` he added.
The Heart Foundation had conducted a survey earlier this year and reissued its guideline to recommend people eat up to six eggs a week.
"Cholesterol in food doesn`t equal cholesterol in the blood,```` said the foundation`s healthy weight spokeswoman Monique Blunden.
"It`s the saturated fat and trans fat we consume that is directly related to the rise in cholesterol in the blood,`` she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- PM Narendra Modi to visit five nations from June 4; to take up black money issue with Swiss President
- Sharks possess distinct personalities like humans
- 'Sultan' new poster: See robust Salman Khan turns 'Golden Sultan' magnifying the aura!
- Bihar class 10th result 2016 declared; check Bihar Board Matric class 10 Results 2016 on biharboard.bih.nic.in
- Love is blind, like literally! Riteish Deshmukh's 'Housefull 3' proves it - Pic Inside