Encephalitis claims 22 more lives in Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: With another 22 deaths due to encephalitis in the past five days in Gorakhpur, the Uttar Pradesh government Wednesday cancelled the leave of all doctors and paramedical staff, an official said.
This has been done to ensure that the health department is present in full strength to attend to the growing number of patients, the health department official said.
Officials also said the number of encephallitis-related deaths in the region were more or less the same as compared with the previous year, but there was a spurt in their numbers post the Phallin cyclone in Odisha and Andhra Pradesh coastal regions, which also led to heavy and continued rainfall in Gorakhpur and neighbouring regions.
There were around 100 deaths due to the killer disease in October alone.
Officials also admit that the government's efforts to contain the disease have failed, resulting in the death of hundreds of people in the past few years. Seven districts of the region are severely affected with the encephallitis strain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family