Encephalitis claims 53 lives in Assam since January
Guwahati: Fifty-three people died due to encephalitis and 362 others suffered from acute encephalitis syndrome (AES) in Assam since January this year.
Another 24 positive cases of Japanese encephalitis were detected during the period, NRHM state surveillance officer Dr B C Bhagabati told PTI.
Dibrugarh district in upper Assam accounted for the maximum deaths (13), he said. Ten of the deaths were reported this week, he said.
Three deaths were reported in Dibrugarh, two each in Sonitpur and Darrang, while one each in Jorhat, Lakhimpur and Morigaon districts.
Kamrup (Metro) where Guwahati is situated had 29 incidences of the disease during last six months.
As preventive measures, he said, the government has stepped up fogging and DDT spraying, intensified the ITBN (Insecticide Treated Bednet) scheme besides holding awareness programmes in villages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Assembly polls 2016: Arch political rivals PM Narendra Modi, Sonia Gandhi soon to hit Kerala
- Several radical mosques under surveillance: German intelligence head
- NEET exemption row: Supreme Court to hear fresh plea regarding MBBS, BDS entrance test today
- Prisoners revolt in Syria's Hama jail, seize guards - Syrian Observatory
- Spain misses deadline for new government, June election set