Encephalitis claims five more lives in Bihar, toll 230
Patna: Five more children died of acute encephalitis syndrome (AES) in Bihar`s Muzaffarpur district Sunday, taking the toll in the state to 230 since May, an official said.
Additional Secretary (Health) R.P. Ojha said that of the 581 children with AES symptoms admitted to hospitals, 230 have died.
He told mediapersons that AES, a mosquito-borne disease, had claimed the lives of 162 children so far in Muzaffarpur district alone - the highest figure in the state.
Most of these children died at the Sri Krishna Memorial College Hospital and the Kejriwal Charitable Hospital.
As many as 52 children have so far died at the Patna Medical College Hospital and 11 at Anugrah Narain Medical College Hospital in Gaya.
Three children died in Vaishali and two in Sitamarhi districts.
Bihar health officials said they had identified 10 districts where the disease has spread.
"In the last four days, the number of fresh AES cases AES have reduced due to the rain," a health official said.
Health Minister Ashwani Kumar Choubey has told striking junior doctors of Patna Medical College and Hospital to resume work in view of the spreading AES. The strike entered its 10th day Sunday.
The government has decided to provide a compensation of Rs.50,000 each to the kins of the AES victims from the Chief Minister`s Relief Fund.
The districts worst affected by AES are Patna, Gaya, Muzaffarpur, Sitamarhi, East Champaran and Vaishali.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur