Endurance tests can detect nerve disease early
Tel Aviv: Muscle endurance tests can detect abormalities in the early stages of multiple sclerosis, according to the latest findings, reveals a study.
Multiple sclerosis (MS), a neurodegenerative disease, is characterised by symptoms such as loss of balance, muscle spasms, numbness or abnormal sensation in any area, problems of moving arms or legs, etc.
While MS patients` walking abilities and muscle strength are examined on a regular basis, doctors have yet to determine when the lower limb muscles begin to deteriorate, the Journal of Neurologic Physiotherapy reported.
Researcher Alon Kalron and fellow researchers from Tel Aviv University`s Sackler Faculty of Medicine, have discovered that specific lab tests for the pattern of movement while walking or running are highly effective in identifying mobility deficits at the initial stage of MS. They are difficult to discover during standard tests.
According to Kalron, patients in the early stages of MS had 40 percent less muscle endurance compared to their healthy counterparts, said a university statement.
Reduced muscle endurance may be one of the earliest signs of MS and is a common complaint among patients, but it is hard to detect, said Kalron.
Kalron based his findings on a study that included 52 patients in the early stage of MS, and a control group of 28 healthy subjects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY