Enzyme linked to colorectal cancer identified
London:Researchers have discovered variant of an enzyme that can activate genes responsible for tumour progressions of colorectal cancer.
Researchers from the IMIM (Hospital del Mar Medical Research Institute) believe that a new line of drugs to inhibit enzyme IKK alpha specifically which is less toxic for the remaining body cells can improve treatment of colorectal cancer.
"We studied the particularities that distinguish the pre-tumour activity of IKK alpha from its normal physiological activities, which are known to be essential for the survival of non-cancerous cells and can therefore not be pharmacologically inhibited without causing great harm to the body," said Dr Lluis Espinosa, director of the study.
IKK alpha is a specific type of enzyme, known as kinase. These enzymes are proteins that act on other proteins adding to them a phosphate and thus modifying their function.
The p45-IKK alpha, which researchers identified, is located in the nucleus of cancer cells and their action is essential for the progression of the tumour.
Researchers analysed a total of 288 human samples of colorectal cancer, identifying the presence of p45-IKK alpha in most of them and proving that specifically blocking this new form of IKK alpha avoids the growth of this particular cancer cells.
"The most important novelty of our findings is the identification of a new form of the IKK alpha kinase, which is mainly involved in activating genes that take part in the tumour progression, and that differs from the main activity of this kinase in normal cells," Espinosa said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill