Essential oils may combat drug-resistant superbugs
Washington: A new study has found that essential oils can be used as an effective and cheap alternative to antibiotics against drug-resistant hospital superbugs.
Professor Yiannis Samaras and Dr Effimia Eriotou, from the Technological Educational Institute of Ionian Islands, in Greece, led the research.
The experts tested the antimicrobial activity of eight plant essential oils.
It was observed that thyme essential oil completely eliminated bacteria within 60 minutes.
Apart from thyme, cinnamon oil was also found to be efficient antibacterial agents against a range of Staphylococcus species.
These bacteria often lead to infection in immunocompromised individuals.
Samaras said: "Not only are essential oils a cheap and effective treatment option for antibiotic-resistant strains, but decreased use of antibiotics will help minimise the risk of new strains of antibiotic resistant micro-organisms emerging."
Essential oils have been used for hundreds of years for therapeutic purpose, even though it is little known. Australian aborigines used Tea tree oil to treat colds, sore throats, skin infections and insect bites.
The Greek team believes essential oils could have diverse medical and industrial applications.
The team said: "The oils – or their active ingredients – could be easily incorporated into antimicrobial creams or gels for external application. In the food industry the impregnation of food packaging with essential oils has already been successfully trialled. They could also be included in food stuffs to replace synthetic chemicals that act as preservatives.”
The research was presented at the Society for General Microbiology``s spring meeting in Edinburgh this week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble