Even indoor tanning raises melanoma risk
New York: Do you use indoor tanning believing that this is safe? Beware as this may increase the chances of your developing melanoma, an alarming study says.
The indoor tanning raises the risk of developing melanoma even if a person has never had burns from either indoor or outdoor tanning.
To test the hypothesis that indoor tanning without burns prevents sunburn and subsequent skin cancer, researchers at University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, used data from a case-control study on indoor tanning and the risk of melanoma.
The researchers had detailed information on indoor tanning and sun exposure for the study participants and excluded those who experienced a burn while tanning indoors.
A total of 1,167 melanoma patients were matched to 1,101 control subjects by sex and age.
The study found that melanoma patients reporting zero lifetime burns were nearly four times more likely to be indoor tanners than control subjects.
In addition, melanoma patients with zero sunburns reported having started tanning indoors at younger ages and used indoor tanning over more years than other patients who had experienced sunburn, suggesting that greater total exposure contributed to the findings.
“Indoor tanning, even when used in a way that does not produce burns, is a risk factor for melanoma,” the researchers concluded.
The study is published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’