Even `third-hand` smoke kills
London: Have you finally amended your habits and stopped smoking inside the house to protect your kids from exposure to second-hand smoke? That may not be good enough!
Researchers have found that even 'third-hand' smoke, tobacco smoke gases and particles deposited as dust in homes, pose a potential cancer risk to non-smokers, particularly young children.
"The risks of tobacco exposure do not end when a cigarette is extinguished. Non-smokers, especially children, are also at risk through contact with surfaces and dust contaminated with residual smoke gases and particles, the so-called third-hand smoke," explained Jacqueline Hamilton from University of York in Britain.
"This risk should not be overlooked and its impact should be included in future educational programs and tobacco-related public health policies," Hamilton added.
The study demonstrated for the first time the widespread presence of tobacco related carcinogens in house dust, even in "smoke-free" environments.
Scientists collected dust samples from private homes occupied by both smokers and non-smokers. Using observations of house dust composition, they estimated the cancer risk by applying the most recent official toxicology information.
They found that for children aged one to six years, the cancer risks exceeded the limit recommended by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in three quarters of smokers' homes and two thirds of non-smokers' homes.
The study was published in the journal Environment International.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Sundar Raman, tainted IPL franchises face uncertain future