Exposure to loud noise can damage hearing
Washington: An Indian-origin audiologist in the US has warned about the impending dangers to hearing because of loud noise.
Jyoti Bhayani, a certified audiologist at Gottlieb Memorial Hospital, part of Loyola University Health System, said that once hearing is damaged, it cannot be repaired.
Bhayani said that hearing loss because of excessive noise is totally preventable, unlike hearing loss due to old age or a medical condition.
Three small bones in the middle ear help transfer sound vibrations to the inner ear where they become nerve impulses that the brain interprets as sound.
Bhayani explained that when noise is too loud, it begins to kill the hair cells and nerve endings in the inner ear.
Bhayani added the louder a noise, the longer the exposure, and the closer the person is to the noise source, the more damaging it is to their nerve endings, or their hearing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- The Pot Simmers: Beef Politics in UP; Beef Festival in Kerala