Extroverted mothers likelier to breastfeed for longer durations
Washington: New mothers who are more extroverted and less anxious are more likely to breastfeed for longer than those who are introverted or anxious, a new study has revealed.
The study by Swansea University in the United Kingdom suggested that new mothers with certain personalities may need additional support and education to help them feel confident, self assured, and knowledgeable about breastfeeding.
To investigate, researcher Amy Brown, surveyed 602 mothers with infants aged six to 12 months old. The questionnaire examined the mothers` personalities, how long they breastfed, and their attitudes and experiences of breastfeeding.
Mothers who indicated that they were extroverts and were emotionally stable were significantly more likely to initiate and continue breastfeeding for a longer duration, while mums who were introverted or anxious were more likely to use formula milk or only breastfeed for a short while.
It was found that mothers who were introverted felt more self-conscious about breastfeeding in front of others and were more likely to formula feed because other people wanted them to.
Meanwhile mothers who were anxious found breastfeeding was more difficult and felt that they couldn`t get the support they needed. These factors are known to be linked to low breastfeeding rates.
The study is published in the Journal of Advanced Nursing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder