Eye changes can predict dementia
New York: A loss of cells in the retina is one of the earliest signs of a form of dementia in people with a genetic risk for the brain disorder - even before any changes appear in their behaviour, says a study.
The US Researchers discovered that before any cognitive signs of dementia were present, these individuals showed a significant thinning of the retina compared with people who did not have the gene mutation.
“The finding suggests that the retina acts as a type of 'window to the brain',” said Li Gan from San Francisco-based Gladstone Institutes, an independent and nonprofit biomedical research organisation.
Retinal degeneration was detectable in mutation carriers prior to the onset of cognitive symptoms, establishing retinal thinning as one of the earliest observable signs of familial frontotemporal dementia (FTD).
“This means that retinal thinning could be an easily measured outcome for clinical trials,” Gan added.
To reach this conclusion, Gan and Ari Green, an associate professor of neurology at University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) studied a group of individuals who had a certain genetic mutation that is known to result in FTD.
Although it is located in the eye, the retina is made up of neurons with direct connections to the brain.
“The retina may be used as a model to study the development of FTD in neurons,” said lead author Michael Ward, a postdoctoral fellow at the Gladstone Institutes and assistant professor of neurology at UCSF.
The study appeared in the Journal of Experimental Medicine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi