Fankincense could harbour breast cancer cure
Dubai: Omani researchers at the University of Nizwa have produced a medicinally important compound from Omani frankincense, which could aid breast cancer treatment.
Dr Ahmad Sulaiman Al Harrasi, holder of the University's Chair of Oman's Medicinal Plants and Marine Natural Products, claimed that the researchers have succeeded in isolating and enhancing the percentage of AKBA (beta-boswellic acid, keto-beta-boswellic acid, and acetyl-keto-beta-boswellic acid) found in the resin of Omani frankincense , Gulf News reported.
AKBA has been indicated in apoptosis, or death of cancer cells, in particular brain tumours and cells affected by leukaemia or colon cancer.
He added that this discovery will play a vital medicinal, as well as economic role as AKBA is very costly.
The Omani media had also claimed that a "cure" for cancer had been found, which Al Harrasi denied.
He said that he would like to dispel certain misgivings regarding the discovery as they have not discovered a cure and it is not from oil as reported and being widely circulated on social media.
Al Harrasi insisted that they have experimented on various cancer cell alliances for their research, which have shown positive results.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened